The dawn of the digital era within South Africa’s healthcare sector has arrived
In the current rapidly evolving digital world, industry sectors are increasingly moving towards implementing digital strategies to enhance operational agility and promote a seamless and efficient customer experience.
This is particularly the case within the local private healthcare sector where digital technologies are now commonly regarded as a necessity, rather than an advantage. Here the influx of middle-class consumers bolstered by medical aid have been driven to consider private healthcare options, resulting in an expanding and robust health care sector.
As such, healthcare service providers continue to rethink their digital strategies as they seek to enhance operational efficiencies and reduce costs, all while still delivering on the promise of superior customer experience.
And while the key benefits of digitisation continue to be realised across organisations and sectors alike, adoption within the local healthcare sector has been understandably slower, largely owing to the prevalence of customised systems and process hampering integration in what can be currently considered a largely disparate healthcare technology ecosystem.
Here, a haphazard digital adoption rate coupled by lack of standardisation and system interoperability means that service providers and customers alike remain constrained by these widespread on-premise limitations.
Not only do patients and service providers alike still face largely manual admissions and administrative processes, but the lack of system integration within the sector means that up until now the additional benefits brought about through enhanced communication, anytime, anywhere access, as well as the power of data analytics can not only drastically improve efficiencies but also potentially ensure better health outcomes.
Increased agility now possible through digital technology
Although digitisation has remained a hot topic within the healthcare sector for the past two decades, it is only now that both technology and business models have sufficiently evolved to where the digital vision long been on the horizon for sector stakeholders can now become a tangible reality.
Going forward healthcare providers and their customers can now tap into the benefits of an integrated digital technology ecosystem that has the capacity to drastically transform the sector through:
- Increased efficiency through streamlined administration processes resulting in reduced patient waiting times.
- Enhanced communication providing employees with secure anytime, anywhere access to clinical and operational data.
- Real-time monitoring of medical equipment to ensure continuous functionality as well as minimising damage or loss.
- Enhanced procurement processes through increased stock visibility of stock such as medication as well as other hospital disposables.
- Seamless system integration pertaining to diagnostic test results and images.
- Improved clinical outcomes through increased access to and enhanced management of patient medical history and records.
- Wireless connectivity access for patients, visitors and medical staff for improved efficiency and satisfaction.
- Potential new revenue streams through the implementation of additional digital platforms such as signage and navigation
- Data analytics for improved data quality and extraction for reporting purposes
The increased agility now possible through digital technology within the sector means that the hype around digital transformation is now at the cusp of a turning point, where organisations are now making the all-important move towards becoming part of a digital health platform that successfully integrates stakeholders across the health value chain in driving efficiencies and progress and the healthcare sector.
Moving forward with digital transformation
At BCX, we understand that technology has a direct impact on how people live, learn and work. That’s why it’s important for us to create solutions that combine our technologies, together with the people and process-focused approach, to enable our clients to enhance operational efficiencies to meet business objectives.
Digital transformation is achieved by placing next-generation technology at the core of your organisation to enable new, digital-first business models. We regard software-defined networks as a major milestone for clients embarking on their digital transformation journey.
And while technology may change, one thing remains the same. We’ll put your business right where your customers are. Because at BCX our most important customer, is yours.
Contact a BCX industry expert today. Visit BCX.co.za, so that together we can re-invent customer experience.